The second juice of the day is a little sweeter than the Glow Getter Green Juice, and it has a bit of a tropical twist. I might be biased, but I think it gives pina coladas a run for their money…
Here’s what’s in it and why it’s good for you:
- Pineapples contain a digestive enzyme called Bromelain, which has a number of beneficial functions. It aids the digestive system by breaking down protein, while also cleansing the body of toxins – great for detoxification. In addition, Bromelain is a natural anti-inflammatory. Pineapples are rich in Vitamin A and C, as well as calcium, phosphorus and potassium. Vitamin C is an antioxidant which does loads of awesome stuff for your body: boosts your immune system, helps to synthesize connective tissue, etc. Pineapples also deliver high levels of manganese, which helps your body build bones and connective tissues.
- Peaches contain high levels of Vitamin C, as well as flavonoid polyphenolic compounds, including lutein, zeaxanthin and B-cryptoxanthin. Along with the Vitamin C, these antioxidants protect against damage from free radicals. Peaches can also help lower cholesterol.
- Apples are another great source of Vitamin C. They also contain ellagic acid, a liver stimulant, which can help with detoxification.
- Ginger is a digestive aid, which can sooth an upset stomach. Ginger also has anti-inflammatory properties, so it can reduce the redness produced by skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis and acne. It also boosts the immune system.
- One third of a large pineapple (about 400g)
- 2 apples
- 2 peaches
- A thumb sized piece of root ginger
- Remove the outside of the pineapple and chop it into pieces small enough to fit into the shoot of your juicer
- Halve the apples and peaches, remove the stones on the peaches
- Skin the ginger
- Juice it all up!
- This should make about 400ml of juice.
If you are completing the juice cleanse, follow this with another Glow Getter Green Juice, and then Beet It! Beetroot Detox Juice – recipe coming up tomorrow!!
Next Up: Juice Cleanse Recipe #2: Beetroot & Carrot Juice